Sunday, January 15, 2006

Fathers thoughts about the Army

Here's my thoughts about the army and some stories. When my older brother Laisiasa went to the Solomon Islands in the 1940s he was not even eighteen. His older relatives asked him to come along to polish their boots and help, but he was a good shooter so they put him in the front line. As you know, he was one of the first Fijians to fall. We have a certificate about his sacrifice. Soldiers who came home from that war were given a spade and a shovel, that's all. The whole history of the Fijian army has been one of honour, sacrifice and not much thanks. Even today many people in the army feel that they are not thanked for their willingness to do difficult work such as in the Peace-keeping forces.

It is a big institution in Fiji and has a history of honour but in recent years it has got mixed up with politics of course.
When I was in the Bible School in Davuilevu, a relative from Vesi in Mali was Police Inspector Ratu Viliame Katonibau at Nausori and he asked me to become a policeman when I finished the course. My older sister was very angry and said she has worked hard to help me to study and I must go ahead to become a talatala. So for many years I had nothing to do with the police. Only in recent years when Romanu Tikotikoca and other police officers became my firm friends and I was involved in helping in a grief situation of a police officer who died at Queenscliff did I get to know them. I respect the institutions of law and order such as the police and the army.

So, in the present predicament, it would be unwise to dismiss the feelings of the Army Commander. There is a whole history of an honourable army, but with grievances that have not always been listened to. Even though Frank Bainimarama has presented his case in a rough way by threats, there is a whole history of the army not being given due recompense for what they do.

As Ratu Sir Kamisese Mara reminded us in the song he wrote Ciri koto e Loma ni wai siliva, young soldiers wanted to serve their country following the tradition of soliders who have gone before them, even to die for your country.
We hope and pray that things will go well for Fiji and its people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



eXTReMe Tracker Fiji blog network