Thursday, January 12, 2006

Possibility of a Coup in Fiji

Yesterday there were rumour floating about concerning the possibility of a coup.

The following is my personal experience of what transpired
  1. A workmate first informed me in the afternoon that Bainimarama was put under house arrest.
  2. I received phone call from my sister in labasa asking if there was a coup as she was told army people were in the middle of town
  3. I called my wife asking if she has any news and told me that relations with armed force connections told them to stay out of town as their was going to be a coup
  4. For some reason this totally stressed me out so I checked if all my staff had safe transport home etc.
  5. I ended up getting a taxi home and the taxi driver had said he heard plenty rumors but no evidence.
  6. In the news they went on about misunderstanding and their was a naval exerice outside of the suva city. Qarase looked visibily shaken though when addressing the nation.


If I had to bet on what happened. I would say the navy was going to implement a coup, army got hold of it so tried to put bainimarama under house arrest. A QVS person can't put a Marist person under house arrest so their was futher discussions and it cooled down fiji style.


It is now a wait and see approach. I dont think the army will accept for Bainimarama to be sacked by Government. Bainimarama will have to resign himself. As Niko has said the Army has the guns. The only positive is that the acting president Ratu Jone Madraiwiwi is Bainimarama's chief.

Labour has now just lost a significant number of indian voters by the FLP president justifying a coup by Banimarama. Chaudry must be having fits over that comment


Update: The following is an email from my mum

All quiet on the Pacific front? I certainly hope so. I'm sure there were many people praying for good sense in stubborn people who have power.
My take in things in Fiji is that there is a contradiction between two important things - justice and mercy. If you make people accountable for the crimes they committ, then there isn't much mercy. If you forgive easily and forget, then there is no justice. It's a dilemma we have to live with. And perhaps that's what the different views are between the army leader and the political leader. Somehow you have to compromise somehow and balance both!
Dad got a phone call and a letter from {relation} who says the events of yesterday were exaggerated by the journalists. Though I wonder... There are people with passionate views who want to be heard. I hope that Ratu Jone Madraiwiwi is a wise man. I met his parents one time and they seemed to be outstanding, nice people.

1 Comments:

Blogger George said...

It seems that Land Commander wasnt QVS as I was told but a marist classmate of Bainimarama.

Even worse he was the officer who lead the army officers against the Mutiny and so saving Bainimarama Leadership

This shows what real leadership is risking your career and friendships for the good of a country

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



eXTReMe Tracker Fiji blog network